Saturday, May 4, 2013
On Friday, May 03, 2013, Ames Firefighters responded to a reported structure fire at 1018 Lincoln Way.
From City of Ames Fire Department A fire that spread from an electric panel caused $45,000 in damagers and displaced residents of a Lincoln Way apartment complex on Friday. Ames firefighters responded to the fire about 8 p.m. Friday. Callers told 911 dispatch operators that there was a possible fire in the electrical panel of the single story six-unit apartment complex at 1018 Lincoln Way. When firefighters arrived, they located the fire in the main electrical panel and found that it had spread into the nearby walls and attic. Firefighters were able to confine the fire to the corner of the building and extinguish it, a release said. Some of the occupants of the complex were home at the time of the fire but escaped unharmed. One …
Thursday, May 2, 2013
Large shed caught fire at Black's Heritage Farm, WHO-TV says.
The Black's Heritage Farm store was burned in a fire early Thursday, according to a report on WHO TV. Firefighters arrived just after 6 a.m. Thursday and said a large shed used as the farm store had caught fire. The cause and fire origins couldn't be determined in part because of the weather conditions. Ames Newsletter/Ames Patch Facebook page/Twitter: @AmesPatch
Thursday, April 11, 2013
No injuries were reported in Ames house fire on Wednesday.
A fire in an attic of a Meadowlane Avenue home did about $10,000 worth of damage, according to a release from the Ames Fire Department. Firefighters went to 1528 Meadowlane Ave. about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday after residents said they could smell smoke in an upstairs bathroom of the two-story home. Firefighters found a fire in the attic and were able to quickly extinguish it. An overheated warming lamp caused the fire, firefighters said. One person was home at the time of the fire and was able to escape unharmed and the homeowner was allowed to return to the house. The smoke and fire damage is estimated at $10,000. Ames Newsletter/Ames Patch Facebook page/Twitter: @AmesPatch
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
No one was injured, but flames and smoke caused about $5,000 worth of damage to a Narland Drive home.
An improperly discarded cigarette caused $5,000 worth of damage to a Narland Drive home Tuesday morning, firefighters said. Ames firefighters were called to a house fire about 10 a.m. and were directed to a fire in a bathroom. They were able to quickly extinguish the fire and contained it to the bathroom. No one was injured, but there was some minor smoke damage. Firefighters said an improperly discarded cigarette is to blame. The resident was home at the time the fire began and called the fire department. Paul Sandoval, Deputy Fire Chief, said the fire was relatively small and that there were no signs of fire when they arrived at the building. Ames Newsletter/Ames Patch Facebook page/Twitter: @AmesPatch
Friday, February 15, 2013
A man seen leaving the scene of a fire in Kelley on Thursday admitted to setting several others, authorities say.
A volunteer firefighter for the Kelley Fire Department has been charged with three counts of second-degree arson for setting several fires in southwestern Story County, according to a release from the Story County Sheriff's office. Brett Graham, 19, of Kelley, was seen leaving the scene of a fire near Kelley Thursday and during an interview, Graham admitted to setting the Feb. 14 fire as well as several others in the Boone and Story County area. Ray Reynolds, State Fire Marshal, said his office was called in to assist about two months ago after authorities noticed that fires in the area were above normal. Reynolds could not provide a full list of structure fires that Graham admitted to being involved in but said that Graham's vehicle was …
Thursday, January 17, 2013
Iowa State University’s golf facility building caught fire and is believed to be suspicious.
WHO.TV reports that Iowa State University's golf facility under construction just outside Ames caught fire early Thursday morning and authorities believe the fire's cause is suspicious in nature. Firefighters told WHO.Tv that the fire probably began outside a wood structure. No damage estimates were available since the facility was under construction. Cyclones.com said that the facility would be one of the finest in the nation once complete. The $2 million facility would include: six heated bays, an indoor putting green, a team lounge, locker room, club repair room, practice range and more.
Sunday, December 23, 2012
Tina Meyer, 51, is currently being held in Story County Jail. Meyer was believed to be a member of the church.
Editor's Note: As the year winds down, Ames Patch is looking back at some of the stories that made you talk, cry, laugh or just scratch your head. Orig ran Sept. 26 A 51-year-old Ames woman has been charged with first-degree arson for allegedly setting a fire at St. Thomas Aquinas Church late Tuesday. Tina Meyer is currently being held on a $25,000 bond in Story County Jail. She was believed to be a member of the church. Ames Fire Deputy Paul Sandoval would provide no other information on Meyer or the fire's cause, except to say that the fire was started in the area of a couch on an upper level inside the church. Meyer was arrested after contacting a police officer at the Ames Police Department after 12 a.m. Wednesday, according to …
Saturday, December 22, 2012
Ames Firefighters expect to remain on the scene overnight of a July 15 fire that took out an entire apartment building.
Editor's Note: As the year winds down, Ames Patch is looking back at some of the stories that made you talk, cry, laugh or just scratch your head. Originally ran July 15, 2012 A fire that began in a carport of South Meadow Apartments Sunday morning quickly spread through the roof of the H-shaped building displacing about 90 people, but no one was injured. Ames Fire Department received the report of the fire at about 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning. Ames Fire Chief Clint Petersen said the fire began in a carport containing a boat on the southeast corner of the building's first level. The flames then consumed the vinyl siding and spread into the roof through the soffit. The man who reported the fire to authorities told the Ames Tribune that the …
Monday, December 3, 2012
Tina Meyer, arrested in September on first degree arson charges for a fire at St. Thomas Aquinas Church pleaded guilty to reduced charges this morning.
Tina Meyer, who was originally charged with first-degree arson for setting a fire at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church in September pleaded guilty to reduced charges Monday. Meyer pleaded guilty to second-degree arson, a Class C felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. The first-degree arson charge Meyer originally faced carried a 25-year sentence. Meyer also pleaded guilty to first-degree criminal mischief, also a Class C felony. A sentencing hearing has been scheduled for late January. Meyer has been in jail since her arrest in September. She requested a bond reduction, which was denied. Meyer's estranged husband said during a bond review hearing that Tina Meyer would be a danger to herself if she was released from jail. And Dan …
Monday, November 26, 2012
Ames Firefighters said an accidental fire displaced residents and caused about $20,000 in damages.
A house fire over the holiday weekend caused $20,000 of damage and displaced the residents of the two-story Lincoln Way home, according to a release from the Ames Fire Department. Firefighters went to the 1100 block on Lincoln Way about 5 p.m. Saturday for a report of a fire in the home and discovered a bed burning on the second floor once they went inside. Everyone who lived in the home was able to make it out safely, but firefighters did have to rescue two cats, according to the release. The cause of the fire appeared to be accidental. Capt. Doug Allen said it looked like the fire was caused by a toppled candle. Candles were in the area where the fire started and there were pets and children in the home, he said. “It's hard to say how it…