While this heat wave in Ames continues, Mayor Ann Campbell has proclaimed July as the beginning of the “Summer of Smart Irrigation.”
Water usage typically doubles in July and August as people water their lawns and gardens, a release from the city said.
Smart Water offers these water conservation tips:
- A typical lawn needs about one inch of water each week.
- Install a rain sensor to water only when necessary.
- Water your lawn in the early morning and late at night when evaporation is minimal.
- Water slowly and less frequently to encourage deeper roots.
- Use mulch to minimize water evaporation.
For more tips go to: www.cityofames.org/waterweb and follow the City of Ames Smart Water Conservation Program on Facebook and @AmesSmartWater on Twitter.